Sunday, November 9, 2008

"Venting the Plasma" on the Upcoming Presidency

In the spirit of my associate Sam Johnson, his associate (who will hopefully be my associate at some point, too) Ivan, and no doubt any number of other people who are in the same boat, I'm going to attempt to turn the page on any major poilitcal ramblings for a while. I'm going to go one last round with all of this stuff, and then hopefully be done with it for a good long while. Yeah, hope springs eternal.

Now, speaking of hope... I'm about to speak to all of my fellow Obama supporters. We've all had proper time to celebrate, reflect, contemplate what has happened and what will happen. I hope that you're still feeling good, but this is the part where I speak to the people that should know better.

Obama is not going to change everything. The man himself has said that much, and it should be pretty obvious. When he gets into office, he's going to have his hands full just trying to keep things afloat. Over the course of this term (and possibly, hopefully the next) I'd like to believe that there's going to be some change. And you most definitely are going to see it. But this bizzare notion that things like racism, discrimnation, and having to listen to "white folks" is out the window because the man was elected is not only ridiculous, but makes us all look bad by comparison. (And by "us", I mean Obama supporters, not just people on my side of the Mocha Line).

If you do want to walk with a little more swagger in your step, so be it. It's your moment, it's your time, it's your right. But please, please remember that you have no special exemption/protection from idiots and small-minded people on the other side of the fence (this is especially true for anyone in my neck of the woods in the Deep South).

Now then, I'd like to take a minute or two to talk to all the people who supported that other guy. First, I know you're disappointed. That's only fair. But life goes on, and there are worse things in the world than not being in the majority of a popular vote (and yeah yeah, not truly popular, electoral college, etc. etc...). Now is the time to do as your candidate told you and give your support to the man that has been elected. That's my message to the rational part of this group.

Now, for the other part of the group that, like I stated in my earlier breakdown, should know better. First of all, take a deep breath. There yet? Take another one. All right. Feeling a little better? Good.

Now suck it up, and deal.

I get that you bought into the hype, and you somehow think that the country is coming to an end. Get over it. The only reason the country hasn't gone completely in the crapper yet is because even with all of his power and influence, the President can only do so much damage from the White House. That you somehow instantly think that this man (and yes, he's just a man like you or me; not some secret Muslim (like that would matter) or hidden monster (where do you get this **** from?) or whatever) will run the country through a worse crap-storm than it's already in amazes me.

But even if you did, the fact remains that he was elected. He will be the President, and you might as well embrace that. Saying that he's "not your President" means that either you don't believe in the democratic system that you claim is your heart and soul or that you only believe in it when it does what you want it to. That's a great thing to teach the children of the country, by the way.

So deal with it. Mope if you must. Groan quietly if you have to. But please stop acting like this is the single worst thing that's ever happened in life, because when you do with little to no basis for it, it just exposes how shallow you can be. Give the man a chance to do the job before you start up with all the negativity and every talking point you've willingly swallowed the past few months.

And if you really can't do that, and embracing President Obama is something you truly can't deal with... you know where the exits are. You have Canada, Mexico, or your choice of oceans. Don't let the country hit you in the @$$ on the way out. (That's the single meanest thing I hope I ever have to say with regards to this matter.)

I think that may have done it. I'm going to try to stick out of the main issue at least until Obama's term starts. Wait, one more thing. The next person that tries to point out to me the percentage of white people that "voted for Obama, too" as if I or anyone else owes them a thank you card will taste a blazing fist. You'll hear the "Shin-" the "Shouryu-" and then possibly if you have enough life bar left, you'll hear the "Ken" right before the screen starts flashing.

Have hope, people. And don't fear change so much. There. Now I'm done.

1 comment:

Ivan G Shreve Jr said...

Your observation about "associate" reminds me of the gag in It's in the Bag! where when Fred Allen sees the title "associate producer" in the credits he cracks: "He's the only one who would associate with the producer..."