Monday, November 3, 2008

NaNo: Day 3 Update

I say this knowing that anyone who's ever written will completely understand why I'm doing this, and that anyone who doesn't will probably scratch their head and wonder why.

After mulling it over yesterday, I've decided to switch themes with my project. This means, of course, that I'm effectively dumping everything that I wrote from day 1. I know this is probably mistake number one when it comes to a free style project like this, but I'll explain why I think it's a good idea.

When I started this whole thing, I had a few thoughts in my head. I thought about going with a completely new idea that I wasn't attached to at all. No characters that have been bouncing around in my head. No plot that I'd been mulling over off and on for months or years. Just a complete detachment from anyone and anything that I had a creative link to at all to see where it would take me.

It's taken me into a wall.

The problem isn't that I don't want to write about the idea I was working on. I could probably hammer something out if I desperately needed to. The problem is that at any point in time, I have about 2 or 3 ideas floating around in my head and doing their thing. And while I'm trying to hammer out and work on this one rogue idea, the other ones are still in there screaming about how they want to get out. Frankly, I just can't take that for the better part of a month.

So, here we go. I'm effectively killing most of my safety buffer by doing this, and it may well end with me typing and/or swearing like a madman at 11:55 PM on November 30th, but so be it. I think in the long run, win or lose, I'll be much happier with the end result. And really, isn't that what the whole thing is supposed to be about? Having fun? A little?

Again, pray for me.

No comments: