Sunday, November 16, 2008

"The father of the boy that does not win..."

In a brilliant display of athletic prowess, two NFL teams today showed that proving who was the better team isn't always an acheivable goal.

Yes, the Cincinnati Bengals and Philadelphia Eagles combined for 26 points and were nice enough to split them evenly among themselves. While I'm sure there were plenty of lowlights to be had, my favorite snippet of the day came from Philly QB Donovan McNabb coutesy of ESPN:

"I didn't know that," said McNabb, who played a leading role in keeping it tied. "I've never been part of a tie. I never even knew it was in the rule book. I was looking forward to getting the opportunity to get out there and try to drive to win the game. But unfortunately with the rules, we settled with a tie."

Yeah, Donovan. It was the rules that failed you in this game. But in his defense, it's not unreasonable to think that he wasn't aware of it. After all, most games have a team that's capable of scoring at least 2 points in the course of 15 minutes. Why you seemed to think that you needed another chance to redeem yourself after having to fail so many times prior to that, I'll never know.

Then again, I do have trouble imagining that no one on the sideline pointed out a tie was imminent. I'm sure there was a geek somewhere oover there that should have been spreading the info around. That third string receiver that nobody really talks to... pay attention to him when he's pulling on your sleeve next time. He might have something to say that you'll want to hear.

But hats off to the Bengals and Eagles. There were no losers in that game you guys played. Except, of course, for any fans that managed to watch it.

No comments: