Monday, November 24, 2008

NaNo: Day 24 Update

Okay, so long time no hear. I was busy with writing and putting off writing. Leave me be.

The good news is that I am just breaking over the 40K mark. The bad news is that somehow, through an accounting error, I am just breaking the 40K mark. As best as I can figure it, somewhere between switching from a manual word count management and an elctronic one, I must have screwed myself.

See, what I decided was that since I was bouncing around to various points in the story, it made more sense to break things up into multiple "chapter" files. So when I went to do word totals, I had to manually write down each chapters count and add them up (using a calculator, of course).

Then two days ago, it occurred to me that if I did a makeshift Excel spreadsheet, I could update each section I added words to ten times more efficiently than if I did it by hand. Genius really, and a wonderful thing to come up with with just ten days left in the project.

But somehow, one of the chapters ended up getting a word count inthe 4000's when it only should have been int he 2000's. And this was after I had put more work into it after the fact. That meant that insted of padding the 40K I thought I had, I ended up pushing just up to that point last night.

But the good news (and this is good news) is that I have hit the 40K mark. I have just enough or more than enough story left to tell to slam right past that, and if my recent dental related adventures leave me as able as they have so far, I should have plenty of time in the next few days to work on it. I want to tell you that it won't mean anything to me to pull this off, but if I can... there will be a party going on. Even if it's just in my mind.

No comments: