Thursday, December 11, 2008

Random Thoughts on Comic-dom: Part 1

The comics board I hang out on is talking about the usual isnanity it always does. Among the topics is a running set of threads on what actor should play any given superhero. And while it's a completely subjective thing, and there are always a few interesting choices there, a character that just popped up has made me revisit a familiar opinion of mine that I always seem to be in the minority with.

Jim Carrey as Plastic Man? Really?

I can't be the only one that thinks he's such an obvious choice that it actually doesn't fit. Yes, he has the faces and the the goofball on speed dial for it. And I'd even argue that he's more than capable of giving the character the serious moment or two that he'd really deserve should he appear in a live action form. But... I dunno.

It could just be a classic case of me rebelling against a blindly popular opinion. I hated Carnage way before it was cool to do so, after all. So maybe I just see an overwhelming tide of, "Oh! Jim would be perfect for the role!" and my knee jerk reaction is to tell myself, "Oh, come on!"

But then, I've never been a big fan of the big stars getting the comic hero roles, anyway. They seem like perfect vehicles for lesser known actors who may bear stronger resemblances to and are more capable of solid performances as the character in question. Honestly, why waste the funds on a Jim Carrey when you can get Luke Percival his big break? Who's Luke Percival? He's that nameless guy whototally would have rocked as Plastic Man if everyone and their grandmother hadn't wet the bed over how much of a lock Jim Carrey would be. I'm just saying...

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Haqving Jim do it would be the right, but the obvious choice as Eel. It's funny though that years ago when they were talkig about the movie, Joel Silver wanted Bruce Willis as Plas. Personally, I'd like to see Sean Hayes as Freakazoid. That's right, I said it...FREAKZOID. JUst go back and watch that first episode. I mean, they can't even cast Captain Marvel yet. How are they gonna get Plastic Man properly cast without irritating fanboys?

Man, now I need to get out of the house, House.

HouseT said...

Oddly enough, someone floated a name out there that would have never crossed my mind: Stephen Colbert. It sounds crazy at first, I know. But he's got the look, and clearly he's a farily decent actor. No one could be that big of a thunderhead deliberately, right?

Fox News doesn't count, does it?