Monday, March 16, 2009

"Knowledge is Power... For Real!"

News of the passing of Ron Silver today got me to thinking about the various things I know him from. He's one of those actors that was bound to pop up in almost anything, and no doubt I'll spend the next year or so playing a game of, "Hey, that's Ron Silver!" I recall him most recently from his recurring role on West Wing, but that's mostly because I've been watching reruns of that show.

But of the odd variety and a personal favorite of mine was a show he appeared in by the name of Heat Vision and Jack. It was basically an unaired pilot, and it wasn't particularly spectacular. Honestly, it reminds me of something that early era FOX television would have shown. But between Rob Schrab (of Channel 101 fame) spearheading the show, Jack Black and Owen Wilson leading the series, and Ben Stiller doing both an intro and a brief (and useless) cameo, it's hard to point out any of the oddball antics as extraordinary. Peep said opening...



But we had Silver, who was noted as playing "himself" but was clearly not an ordinary human. The joke, of course, was that Ron Silver was just that bad of a man. It didn't take much digging for to find this, which is quite honestly my favorite line of the entire pilot.



RIP Ron. In my world, I will always be afraid to shoot you in the back.

Edit: Of course, the one time I don't double-check my embeds, I end up posting the same clip twice. I like the scene, but not that much.

No comments: