Monday, March 2, 2009

Finding the Balance

So Sam Johnson decides, almost eerily, to comment on the nature of his blog and how it does and doesn't embrace factors of his life. I say eerily because I've been nursing my own commentary on the matter for the past month or so. So I figure now might be as good a time as any to explain the nature of my page.

Many times, my blog is kind of a sticky board for my travels around the web. It's useful because I used to find myself running across cool, funny, or just plain informative things and then forgetting to recheck them or revisit them. You know how it is. You screw around and that funny clip you meant to tell everyone about slips out of your mind and your web history, never to be seen again. Not to mention as things that entertain me, they do say a good deal about me and who I am. So while it might be considered a cheat of sorts, I also consider them a form of my own expression.

And certainly, I have my page as a place that I can talk about my life. I do so mainly because talking about my life is yet another way to express myself. Not to mention that there are sometimes thoughts and stories that due to lack of time or contact I just don't get around to mentioning to the people around me. I can at least point them to here when I get the chance or just speak to my invisible friend, the Phantom Reader (I bet someone has that name copyrighted, too... dang) and get it out of my system.

But like Sam, there are things I just won't talk about. In general, I won't talk about my job, except in passing or to comment that I am or have been working. Part of that is just me being professional and not dragging any potential work issues into the open, and part of that is just common sense. My page is, after all, open to just about anyone. Given my job, it just isn't practical or wise to publicize anything related to it to the public. (And no, I am not a spy like my profile claims I may be.)

Likewise, because this is public, there are things I simply don't wish to share. I like to think that the small group of people I've alerted to the site's presence (who actually bother to stop by on occasion.... guilt trip!) are trustworthy enough not to go blabbing my useless business where it isn't needed, but all the same there are some times I won't roll the dice on that. I'm still debating whether or not I should have been so open about my political views, but I stand by that as a means of coping with a political environment whose logic was testing my sanity. Not that it's gotten much better. But I digress...

And of course there is a time issue. There are weeks when I've gotten so tied up with other stuff that I haven't bothered posting things that I've already got written. Now that's just sad.

So that's it in a nutshell. I try to express myself a little and be as open as possible about the little world I live in, but you're only going to get so much out of me. Live with it. Or don't. I'll get by either way.

4 comments:

faustina said...

I totally agree with your stand concerning work and the blog. They definitely don't mix! However, I don't regard my blog as out there for millions of Phantom Readers. Sure, technically it is... but only if they know it exists, and I am fairly cetain that is not the case! :-) I find it enlightening and cathartic to WRITE, to see my thoughts in black and white, whether or not I am the only one reading the words. I only wish I had more time to do so! I've really missed my beach lately.

HouseT said...

To be fair, I'm only really worried that some odd co-worker or something will come across it and somehow think that saying something to me or taunting me about it will somehow get under my skin. Truthfully, it wouldn't really bother me, but the annoyance factor isn't worth the risk. :P

I really am going to try to ignore the possibility for the msot part. In theory, some random person could run across it and do the same thing, anyway. That, and writing is cathartic. Speaking of which, I should get down to some more of it...

Anonymous said...

Go HouseT!!!

Unknown said...

Get out of my head, you dirty Skrull.