Friday, February 27, 2009

Why My Mom is Cool

Okay, so there are a million stories about the mom that I could tell, and they'd all be worthy. Plus, this story is more about me, anyway, but bear with me.

Last week, my mom reminded me of why I sometimes think that even though she often acts like she doesn't, she actually does get me. I had just stopped by my grandmother's house to visit my mom who was there and I was about to bootleg some food for the trip home when I started going off on a random rambling about something or other (I think, oddly enough, it was about birth control... it made sense at the time, trust me...).

Anyway, I was heading from the bedroom to the kitchen when I heard my mom comment to the few family members assembled there that she thought I could do stand-up comedy.

I understand what you're thinking. Why should I care about a comment as irrelevant and unimportant as that? Well, truth be told, I sometimes wonder about whether I should take a shot at it myself. But see, I understand the task of a stand up comedian enough to realize that it's not that simple.

I'm not afraid of performing. I've been on stage before (although not recently) both alone and with groups, and I could even say that I thrived there for the most part. But that's practiced stage performing or even improv (which isn't practiced, but isn't nearly as random as some people would have you believe).

I know that I'm funny. Maybe not to all people and about all things, but I'm pretty sure that most of the people I've met in life and spent time with (aside from maybe a few work contacts) would attest to my having some type of comic timing. So yeah, it could work.

But it's you against the audience. And even if they're willing and encouraging, they can be a fickle and unforgiving bunch. And that's assuming you're not in front of a bunch of drunk and half-drunk people (which you probably are). So yes, even the fearless performing heart that is mine feels a little bit of trepidation over giving that a shot.

But still, it's nice to hear my mom say that she thinks I could probably do it, since it means that if I ever wanted to try, I'd have her support. I'd probably have it regardless, but at least now I think she might actually be encouraging about it. And of course, the whole thing reminds me that I'm supposed to get around to doing some type of performing again at some point in my life. Some minor theater work, an open mic night, some impromptu improv... heck, I might even break down, find one of those fancy video camera things and venture into that YouTube thing all the hip kids are talking about.

Or all they all about the MySpace now? I can never keep up with those hip kids.

No comments: