Tuesday, February 3, 2009

An Odd Sort of Day

As I ironically started the week by turning an otherwise mundane event into its own epic, I reach Tuesday and have an event that's nowhere near mundane but in no way should be an epic. But it does have a character.

See, I have this coworker at my job. And you don't hear me mention my job here much except in passing. There are obvious and not so obvious reasons for that that I might get into at some later date. But like I was saying, there's this coworker at my job, and about the only thing anyone can ever agree on about him is that he's a character. When people say, "He/She is a character..."? They mean this guy.

Over the course of time, I came to learn that his mind just didn't work like other people's. He was a little crazy at times. And this is me saying it, so you understand the level on which he'd have to be for me to call him crazy. There were times I could literally pull what little hair I have on my head out trying to figure out just what he was thinking when he did something. But what you had to learn was that in his head, it was a clear path that made perfect sense, and even if you'd never follow that particular path yourself, you had to respect that it was there.

He'd always have some weird or odd thing to say at times. And even I can admit that while I usually could find him a bit annoying, he could really strike gold with a joke or two now and then.

But having said that, I'll say this. On his best days, like almost anyone else that I work with, he was as capable and dedicated to doing his job as anyone else was. He put the job and his coworkers first, almost to a fault at times, but that's just how he was.

I'm sure by now you've noticed that I've shifted into past tense, and even if you hadn't, you've probably seen enough of these things to know what it's working its way towards. He'd been out sick for a few weeks now, but very early this morning he passed away at his home. He had been sick on and off many times, and one could argue that he had been blessed to have spent as much time as he did on this earth beyond what many people would have given him. He really did embrace each and every day of his life, and no matter how crazy he may have driven me at times, I'll always remember that most. I sincerely hope he finds the rest in passing that he never seemed to take in life, and I'll make sure to pray that his family can carry on with him there only in spirit.

1 comment:

faustina said...

"He really did embrace each and every day of his life." Great eulogy. You should make sure you post that in the Legacy listing on his obituary. His family, at least those that use computers, will appreciate it.