Friday, January 9, 2009

Why Can't Some Things Go Away?

You know, the fact that I may never in my lifetime achieve anything that resembles widespread noteriety is both relieved and antagonized when things like this occur:

Joe The Plumber is putting down his wrenches and picking up a
reporter’s notebook.

The Ohio man who became a household name during the presidential
campaign says he is heading to Israel as a war correspondent for the
conservative Web site pjtv.com.

Why? Why, of all the human beings on earth you could pick to send overseas to do reporting, would you send Joe/Samuel/Dumbo on said assignment? The man has zero credentials, and the only television appearances he's made thus far have only gone to confirm that he's a blithering idiot. That's rhetorical, of course. The obvious answer is ratings. A second rate site will no doubt pull in tons of viewers who are either fans of Joe, enemies of Joe looking for ammunition, or random observers who need to sate their idle curiousity. I mean, hey, look at me. I wasted time talking about it this week.

I guess at least now when he decides to talk about Israel being in danger, he can maybe have some idea of what he's talking abou... nah. Nah. Can't do it. I can't find a positive way to spin this. Maybe if he took Joe Six-Pack and the rest of his buddies and formed an actual news cabal over there. JoeTV: all Joe, all the time. Hmm. Nah, that won't work either.

But I guess one day, when I bother to sell three copies of a book or get some random screen time as an aside on some third rate cable show, I'll have to accept that the world just isn't a fair and balanced place. And a small-minded nobody from the midwest can end up having to file for a passport and going on a trip across the ocean. Only in America.

No comments: