Monday, January 26, 2009

Stupid Rassafrassin' DVR...

Here's what's irking me about the dumb DVR. It's bad enough that half the time it won't properly set up a series recording to begin with. Due to the way the listings are designed, half the time when you want to record just the new airings of a series you get new airings and repeats. But no big deal, since I rarely want to set a series recording, anyway. But tonight... tonight was just a foobar of epic proportions.

See, I do have a handful of series recordings, and one of them is Mobile Suit Gundam 00. As it turns out it's not that big of a risk, since the show only airs the one time during the week. And since I had already missed a pair of episodes earlier in the run, I figured that way I wouldn't have to worry about it again, right? Right?

So of course, since I thought I had everything worked out, and since in a rush to head to work this afternoon it didn't occur to me once to check the recording settings, you can imagine my surprise when I came home expecting my DVR to be recording and found it to be doing nothing.

Here's what happened. See, the wonderful people somewhere (I'm uncertain whether I should blame Comcast or Sci-Fi Channel for this one) had the show listed in the channel guide as "Mobile Suit Gundam". The astute would note that that's an entirely different series. But I don't care, since I know what the show is (and honestly, it wouldn't exactly be a crime if someone aired the original MSG somewhere either). But note the usage of the word 'had" in the first sentence. Because someone, somewhere decided that this week would be the perfect time to change the title in the listings to the correct "Mobile Suit Gundam 00".

That shouldn't be a big deal, except for one problem. A different title means that my DVR treats it like a different show. Which completely negates my series recording and that means that I've now missed two episodes of the show again. So big ups to whoever it was that made that shift mid-series. If I hadn't seen the series already, I'd be legitimately miffed over it. As it is, I'm just slightly annoyed. Stupid DVR.

No comments: