Friday, January 16, 2009

Retro Friday: Stuff I Like

Before the pitchforks get raised or protests get filed, I should stress that these are retro shows that I like. I don't particularly care if they're your favorites or not. So there.

First up, I'm delivering on a thought I had earlier in the week. When hearing of Ricardo Montalban's passing and going over the many notable roles he has played, I recalled that he played an integral role in the old series Freakazoid!



I know many people that liked this show, but it was a personal favorite of mine. If nothing else, it took what could have just been a serialized show about a wacky hero and sent it on wild and wacky tangents. And speaking of which, let's revisit the rebirth of a classic that had its own sense of quirky style as well. Here he comes to save the day...


Now I have no idea why I loved Mighty Mouse so much as a young child (there's still a picture of me floating around somewhere as a 4-5 year old kid dressed as MM for Halloween), but I did. And this new series appealed to the adolescent in me as I recognized as operating on that rare "mulitple levels" thing that so many animated shows miss. Unfortunately, it may have been a little too ahead of its time, and a sudden
controversy over some dust or pollen or crushed whatever could have only helped lead to the shows eventual disappearance. Granted, it did last two seasons (albeit one abbreviated one), so more power to it.

I was honestly going to try to find the old Andy Kaufman performance of the Mighty Mouse theme to top this whole thing off, but for some reason I couldn't dig it out of YouTube. Mind you, I know it exists. I djust don't feel like exerting the effort. Besides, half the people that read this won't even consider it all that funny. So dig for yourself if you care.

But to cleanse the pallete, here's a little bit of another show that operated on two levels and was a personal favorite of mine: Muppet Babies.



Ah. All better.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

"OHHHHH, MISTER GUTIERREZ! WHOO HOO, MISTER GUTIERREZ, WHERE ARE YOUUUUU?"

It just don't get no better than that.