Wednesday, January 14, 2009

"Khaaaaaan!"


From the AP:


LOS ANGELES (AP) -- Ricardo Montalban, the Mexican-born actor who became a star in splashy MGM musicals and later as the wish-fulfilling Mr. Roarke in TV's "Fantasy Island," died Wednesday morning at his home, a city councilman said. He was 88.


Of course, many people will remember him from his role as Khan in the original Star Trek series, a role he repeated later in the motion picture Star Trek 2: The Wrath of Khan (Which I actually saw long before his appearance in the series). Others still will remember him as Mr. Roarke, the charismatic and slightly dark fulfiller of wishes on the original Fantasy Island.

And of course, the really noteworthy among you will remember him as the voice of Guitierrez in the animated series Freakazoid. Not necessarily his greatest performance, but I still remember being impressed that he was involved at all when watching it in my younger days.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hah, I beat you on this! I forgot about Freakazoid, the greatest Saturday Morning Cartoon EVAH! Man, he really will be missed.

HouseT said...

See, I had to spend extra time doing the research. I had to look up the proper spelling of Guitierrez. Or I should say a spelling of Guitierrez. I have to assume that IMDB was right about it.

In honor of this, I think I'll add Freakazoid to this week's Retro entry. Which should save everyone from Monchichis for at least a few more weeks.