Tuesday, January 20, 2009

This Was My Day

So I get home from work first thing this morning and I try to figure out the sequence of events I need to pull off to make my dentist appointment at noon. It's a not so complicated list that centers around eating breakfast and taking some sort of nap. At some point, I figure I should brush my teeth, too, even though I've always found the whole notion a bit odd. I mean, you're going to get your teeth cleaned, right? Why would you clean them before you get there? If anything, I should be eating corn cobs and gummy bears and any other things I can think of to cram in there. You're earning that insurance premium today, baby!

Ahem. Sorry.

Anywho, I'm a little bummed out because when I changed my appointment to this Tuesday it didn't once occur to me that it would be right smack dab in the middle of the Innauguration ceremony. But no loss, because that's what the DVR is for, and it's not like it won't be replayed in perpetuity for the next week.

So I go to the dentist with little incident, and I stop by the store to pick up some supplies to cook dinner. Beef stir fry for the win (don't worry, I won't be writing any songs about it). So I come home and I prep a few things, and I'm well into planning out the rest of my afternoon when it hits me. We have a new President.

You had to know that would come up sooner or later, didn't you? But this wasn't quite the epic, "Change is here" moment that so many people will say overcame them at points in the day. I think I'm all momented out for the time being. But this was the first time that the gravity of the shift in power really hit me. The guy that was in charge isn't in charge anymore, and a new guy is in charge. I've been around to see a change or two as an adult, but it's a bit obvious that this time there is a little bit more going on in the world.

So yes, I did have a moment yesterday where I felt like things were a bit different. It just took a little while to set in, is all.

No comments: