Wednesday, August 12, 2009

When Revengance Goes Wrong...

Long time, no see, mi compadres.

I just figured I'd stop by and leave this commentary, since I posted it elsewhere concerning the item and I got long-winded to actually fit here.

Apparently what happened was some guy by the name of Ryan ran into comic artist Rob Liefeld at a convention, and decided to... "get his revenge". He recounts the details here. I hear people saying that this Ryan guy was genius or a hero, and that Rob somehow mishandled the situation, and to them and others, I say this:

This Ryan guy was an idiot. And to anyone saying that Rob handled it badly... what exactly was Rob supposed to do in that situation? Actually apologize? Confronting some guy that shows up and demands an apology for something you did over a decade ago as if you somehow personally injured him would only cause more of a scene. I don't know if a thanks and a nod off was the perfect way to go about it, but it certainly was non-aggressive and bordering on polite.

But instead of letting it go at that, Ryan decides, "Hey, let's be more of a douche than we were before," and gives Rob a "gift". Note that despite what he claims Rob's reaction was, Rob appears to be relatively unaffected in the short clip he posted. If anything, I'd imagine he might be slightly concerned that some passive-aggressive geek loser was going to stalk him for the rest of the day. Which honestly, Rob doesn't deserve.

I feel horrible siding with Rob on this one, but there's really no reason to do something like this to someone. Especially when it's less about you being an injured party and more about trying to harass an artist that was paid to do a job and did it (whether or not it was liked). I don't mind someone being critical of an artist/writer, but no one put a gun to anyone's head and forced them to buy Rob's work.

But I do fault Rob for one thing. He didn't manage to go the extra step I would have and laugh at the situation. Because really, how much more deflated would that attempt have been if he and whoever it was at the table with him just shared a short laugh over someone wasting that much time and effort and then went right on back to earning a paycheck?

No comments: