Wednesday, October 29, 2008

"I'm Joe the Plumber."

After hearing about "Joe the Plumber" for the past two weeks, I've decided that I don't rightly care what he has to say about anything, how he feels about life, and especially his views on politics. He was cute when he was just this Joe Everyman that was asking a question about his life and getting an answer that he should have listened to (note for future reference: people only tend to hear what they want to out of a conversation).

Now, thanks to John McCain and his incessant need for repetition, he's been elevated to mock superstar status. And by that, I mean he's been mocked by a good many people at this point. Not only is he not officially a plumber, he doesn't make anywhere near the 250K a year he'd need to in order to be affected by an increase in tax rates. And that's just the start of why Good Ol'Joe isn't quite what he made himself out to be.

And if it just ended there, I'd probably be fine. But no, we've got to be beaten over the head with Joe the Plumber. He's the unofficial "Tippecanoe" of the McCain campaign, and it's gotten ridiculous.

I'm forced to be subjected with commercials showing, ahem... "average Joes" (I can't get out of this death spiral) proudly proclaiming, "I'm Joe the Plumber." And while it could be a catchy phrase, it only serves to remind me how stupid a premise the story of the original Joe the Plumber is. You might as well just say something more relevant, like, "I can't do simple mathematics..." or, "I lack listening comprehension."

And Joe himself isn't helping things, either. He almost seemed like he was just going to bow out gracefully until he noted that he wouldn't mind running for political office. And while there's nothing inherently wrong with running for office ("he said with a straight face"), it's a little telling of how this Joe Six-Pack (you know he ties a few on) doesn't know when discretion is the better part of valor.

But I do have one positive thing to say about Joe. He has been consistent in one thing that he's said since the very beginning. The facts are out there, and people should get out there and find them for themselves. It almost makes me think Joe isn't that bad of a guy, and honestly he probably isn't. Still, the only time I want to hear the phrase, "I'm Joe the Plumber," from now on is in the sequel to Who's Nailin' Paylin: Still Nailin' Paylin.

(And don't act like this hasn't crossed Larry Flynt's mind at least once already.)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I managed to catch that "I'm Joe The Plumber" commercial online. Absolutely one of the most surreal things I've ever seen. Spartacus, this was not.

Is this "[Person] the [Occupation]" strategy actually pulling in anybody that wasn't already going to be voting for the McCain/Palin ticket?

HouseT said...

Well, the inherent problem with this (and many of McCain's current pitches) is that they go to his base. And he needs to reach more than his base to pull this off, especially at this point.

And as an aside, someone has in fact shot a scene with "Sarah" and "Joe the Plumber". Don't ask me how I know that so quickly, but that restores more of my faith in this country than Joe the Plumber ever will.