Thursday, October 30, 2008

Did I Just Hear That?

So I was watching The View yesterday...

... alright, get the laughter out of your system now. There, you happy? Now then, I was watching the... dangnabbit! I just like seeing them squabble at the beginning, okay? Are you done?

Anyways, the opening clip is here. I won't embed it because even though I'm man enough to admit that I watched The View, I can't bring myself to actively post it here. I'll direct you to the about the 1:30 mark, and I will quote Sherri Shepherd directly here:

"I always feel like, you know, 'cause I'm learning so much about politics... and I want to come to the table with what I've learned... that I don't want to talk about it with anyone else because I s---- my w--- so early..."

For those that are having trouble deciphering my elusive editing code, the phrase in question involves the firing of a projectile and is also something that Sherri technically can't do (and no, I am most certainly getting into that debate with anyone...).

Now for anyone who bothered to check the clip, my response at home is similar to the one that the other ladies have. Basically, I sat there for about 4-5 seconds to determine whether I had or had not heard her correctly. Then there was the additional second or two of trying to figure out if she was, in fact, allowed to say said phrase uncenesored. The fact that when she attempts to say it again, it is censored (the first time on the live show it went out completely uncensored) would seem to indicate that it is most certainly not allowed.

Sherri goes on to explain that she just learned that phrase recently, although she clearly isn't aware of all of its connotations. I know will argue that she may have been using it the literal alternative as it relates to some sort of economic or banking issue. And using that logic, I might also believe that certain rappers are just big fans of skeet shooting.

But Sherri... oh, Sherri. That you could say such a thing without knowing that it has such a blatantly slummy connotation... I have to admit, it makes you oddly compelling. What other things have you not learned yet? What can I teach you...?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Aw, skeet, skeet, skeet.

Look, man. I feel your pain about The View. I too watch the show myself, more than ever now just to be there the moment that Whoopi let's in inner Celie out and go Harpo on Elizabeth. Really, you got TWO sistas on that show. Odds are one of them in gonna bust Lizzy upside the head at one point. Odds could be better that Barbara actually does it, though.