Friday, May 8, 2009

Go See Star Trek (No Spoilers Here...)

Five minutes in, I wasn't convinced. Ten minutes in, I still had my doubts. About 12-13 minutes in, it started to gel a little. Right around the time it got to the infamous "trailer scene", I still wasn't sure, but at least that scene wasn't nearly as bad as it seemed in the trailer.

But somehow, some way, over the course of two hours... the film won me over. And I don't mean this in the "it was all right" way that Wolverine did. No, I actually enjoyed this film a great deal.

People who have never seen a Star Trek show or film or whatever (and seriously, how many people can really fall into that category...?): go see it. It's as self-contained as a film based in Trek lore can be, and it's an entertaining ride.

Long-time Trek fans: go see it. It's different, but it pays enough homage to make you feel warm and fuzzy and tells a pretty interesting story.

"Fans" and other purists primed to gripe and whine: go see it. And turn off that part of your brain that will make you yell, "That would never happen!" or "That makes no sense!" at the screen. Suspend your disbelief and try to focus on the positive. Plus, no one wants to hear you screaming in the theater.

And that's that. Go see Star Trek. Because I saw it first thing today, and now I have to wait for someone else to see it so that I can talk about it. And I want to say things about it. Desperately.

2 comments:

faustina said...

Wow!!! I just got home from seeing the film and I LOVED IT. And when they were returning to terra firma, all I could think was: I love planet Earth. Mind you, Kirk was never my favorite Captain... but I have a much better appreciation for him now.

faustina said...

You also might want to check out the myspace artistonartist bit with Chris Pine and Zack Quinto.
http://www.myspace.com/artistonartist