Friday, September 17, 2010

5 New Shows That I Am Not Interested In (But Probably Should Be)

With the new Fall TV season right around the corner, there are tons of new shows popping up all over the place. And while the mad TV-phile (is that a real word...?) that I am will no doubt check out dozens of shows this seasons (some of which I’ve already talked about), there are a few that just don’t dazzle me. Don’t get me wrong; some of these shows I fully expect to be good. At the very least, people will ramble about how good they are. But for me, just looking at what’s available on them so far, I’m not impressed.

And so, without further ado, and in particular but not specific order, here are five shows I expect to lose interest in within a few weeks. Assuming I haven’t lost it already...

Honorable Mention

Outsourced (NBC): I don’t know what to tell you. When I first heard the premise for the show, it sounded much less like a comedy and more like a quirky drama series. Hey, it worked for Northern Exposure. I’ll give it points for originality, but this show will either survive on a surprisingly refreshing appeal or fade very quickly into television obscurity.


The List

5) Blue Bloods (CBS): “Hey! You got your cop show in my family drama!” “Hey! You got your family drama in my cop show!” “Hey!” “Hey!” “...heeeeeeey...”

I know point blank that the show will probably be good. You don’t normally get as many big names together on a show as you have with this one only to have it suck. That still doesn’t mean that I want to watch a cop show. Or a family drama. Or even a family cop drama. At least Cop Rock had musical numbers. For all three people that watched Cop Rock...

4) Undercovers (NBC): On its surface, the premise of NBC’s new spy show appears sound. And if J.J. Abrams hadn’t sold me on his ability to spin a good yarn before, his relaunch of the Star Trek franchise certainly would have. (And then there’s those other shows he worked on before, but it’s not like anybody really watched those, right…? Oh…)

But somehow, I just can’t get behind this show like I want to. The premise of a couple that shares (and subsequently has to balance) their married life and their spy life, while interesting, feels too generic for its own good. Granted, it’s got some star power behind it, and It’ll probably be jazzy, thrill-filled, and tons of fun. But it will also probably be the first show on the schedule that I get too busy to check out.

3) Law & Order: Los Angeles (NBC): What? Is there some new rule that says that if a show is really popular, it should not only get a spinoff, but that said spinoff should be based in Los Angeles? Is it just a really cheap way to save on travel expenses? Is LA really that different a place that it warrants its own flavor of L&O?

Still, the California variety of the long-running, Emmy winning drama is prepared to make its entry this fall. But as a longtime fan who has slowly but surely lost interest in keeping up with every variant of the franchise, I’m not sure that a change of venue will be enough to sway my verdict of “wait and see”.

2) Hawaii Five-O (CBS): With regards to this show, there are only two groups of people left in the world. The people who are old enough to remember the original show (and I mean remember as in actually remember plots and characters and the like) will probably find this revamp completely unlike what they saw before. People too young to remember the old show at all may find the show’s premise interesting, but to them it will have nothing to do with the nostalgia factor.

In either case, I expect both groups to do about the same thing: hum a few bars of the theme song, mumble, “Book ‘ em, Danno!” just enough times to make it a short lived internet fad, then promptly forget that this show ever existed. It’s just a theory, though.

1) $H*! Mt Dad Says (CBS): It started as a thoroughly entertaining Twitter feed and has since become a book, and now a television series. Will the net phenomenon about a man and his curmudgeonly witty father stand up as a small screen series?

Probably not. When it’s all said and done, this idea has been done in several... no, a few... sorry... virtually every other sitcom ever made features a cranky dad who mouths off to his kid. It’s a staple of the medium, and hardly something to tout as an original idea. That means that the entire success of the show depends on two things: the ability of net fans to translate into real life fans (which is dicey at best) and the draw power of show star William Shatner (who frankly, I think was the wrong choice for this show).

Let’s face it: Shatner’s only here because they think he’s a draw, and clips I’ve seen of him, while sometimes chuckle-worthy, don’t seem to capture the nature of the actual “Dad” whose quotes were such a welcome diversion from an otherwise dull day. But hey, it is a network sitcom. It’s not like it actually has to be funny or entertaining in order to stay on the air...


So that's that. Without a doubt I'll probably be here again at the end of the year apologizing for doubting at least one of these shows. Then again, I'll probably also be here at the end of the year saying, "I told you so." Such is life. Next time, we cover some of the shows that are returning and maybe even a few that have been around forever (or maybe it just feels that way...)


No comments: