Thursday, October 22, 2009

HouseTV Review: Stargate: Universe Episode 4: Darkness

The new crew of the Destiny can't seem to get a break. They've only just resolved their issues with the air supply when they run into a new problem: power issues. While the rest of the crew pokes around various ship areas, Dr. Rush's obsession with the ship's dwindling power supply results in him blacking out shortly after the ship does. But even as the crew faces an uncertain future, the ship itself prepares to make a last ditch attempt to salvage their existence. But you know what they say about good intentions...

The good news is that I do enjoy watching this show. The overall theme and the dynamics provided are things that I want to see on television. I'll say again that I don't know how much of it is a clone of BSG (I still haven't seen much of that show; yeah, I realize that damages my sci-fi cred...), but I think it stands out on its own merits.

That said, one of the major things that is bothering me right now is pacing. Oddly enough, the episodes don't seem to move that slow in and of themselves. In fact, I was surprised at how much I enjoyed watching the two hour premiere a second time after thinking that its pacing was slow. But for some reason, when an episode concludes with an open ending, it just feels like they could have made more progress with the story.

Should there be plots and themes stretched out over multiple episodes? Certainly yes. But at the same time, you should feel some sense of resolution as the show moves on. This is the second time in four episodes where you get the feeling that the best part of a story has yet to be told. And while it's nice to have build-up, it feels more like the writers are saving the best parts for the second half, making me wonder just why I wasted my time with the first half.

Which makes it seem like I hated this episode, when the opposite is true. In honesty, it's the characters that drive the story, and they do the job well for the most part. Eli continues to be lovable as the everyman that will eventually be screwed (but not in the way that he'd like to be). Dr. Rush continues to be a pain in many peoples backsides, but at least we do continue to see that he has his reasons for acting the way he does and that he does actually care about them all surviving.

The other leadership continues to be shades of 'meh'. Col. Young is who you think you'd want in charge, but he seems to mishandle Rush just as often as he uses him as an asset. Col. Telford is such a huge A-hole that you can't find one redeeming thing about the way he acts (which means I should probably give a nod to Lou Diamond Phillips for managing to make him that grating). Lt. Scott is supposed to be the heroic action lead, but is far too needy for my liking at the moment.

And everyone else is still drifting aimlessly in the background, with only a brief moment of splendor to speak of. Or possibly two, if I count that one SGC chick with the huge bazooms. And big ups to Lt. Chesty for using her sex appeal to lure Eli into a trap, then acting irritated later while being ogled. Way to raise the standard there, lady...

But let us not forget the most dynamic character of them all: Destiny herself. As intelligent vehicles go, this ship scores right up there with KITT and other transports that are probably smarter than their occupants. The ship has already shown that it's more capable than its occupants by thinking ahead and attempting to provide them with what they need before they even realize they need it. Although as smart as it is, it makes you wonder how it got into the condition it's in, or why it's not just a little better at trying to provide needs.

And I know, as the show progresses, everyone should get fleshed out more. Which is good, because as much as I like this show, I feel like I should like it more. Now if only they don't go full sappy before my gag reflex is properly prepared for it... what happens this week? Aw, crap.

No comments: